On-site Data Destruction Services
For those organizations with strict data security and regulatory compliance needs, locate a vendor that can provide on-site hard drive destruction services. As soon as data bearing equipment leaves a company’s premises, any intact data residing on that equipment becomes vulnerable to exposure and can subject that company to a potential data breach incident.
Secure Chain of Custody
If on-site hard drive data destruction is not a possibility, secure transportation of data bearing assets is important. Choose a vendor that offers an unbroken chain of custody from pickup to transportation to destruction. Establish from the beginning who will have access to equipment and how it will be handled from the time it is picked up until it is processed.
Most companies have a mix of data bearing devices. Select a data destruction vendor who offers a range of services to accommodate:
- Small and large volumes of data bearing devices
- Loose and in-machine hard drives
- Backup tapes
- Secure hard drive destruction – including hard drive destruction services for magnetic and solid state hard drives
- Solid state drives and media
- Storage area networks (SANs) and storage arrays
- Optical storage devices (CDs and DVDs)
- SLS offers a range of data destruction services to facilitate reuse, resell or destruction of hard drives. Our hard drive destruction services and equipment enable us to support small and large data destruction projects at our clients’ location or at one of our processing facilities.
In addition to the actual data destruction methods, it is also important that a vendor can provide expert guidance on how to destroy digital data. A well-informed vendor will ensure data is destroyed in the most cost-effective manner while meeting your data security requirements.
- We encourage you to talk to one of our Data Destruction Advisors to discuss your current situation, your data privacy policies, the type and volume of storage device, whether they are loose or in-machine and whether you choose to reuse or recycle the equipment. SLS can develop a secure and cost-effective solution, tailored to your specific situation.
Check that your selected vendor has documented policies that cover employee training on the use and calibration of data destruction equipment and software. Recognize the data destruction process is only as good as the technicians performing it.
- At SLS we are accustomed to handling all levels of data security requirements therefore you can be assured that we will help you choose the most suitable and secure method of data destruction which meets your business needs.
The importance of a standardized and documented process cannot be overstated. Questions about data breaches from retired IT assets seldom surface immediately. If a stray hard drive with data is discovered 5 years down the road, the key to minimizing liability will be your ability to demonstrate that your company took prudent precautions when the asset was retired and disposed.
- SLS uses clearly defined processes, guided by industry and government standards to make certain all digital data is destroyed and that no storage device is skipped during the process. Our audited processes provide peace of mind, accountability and assurance that your company’s privacy and corporate reputation remain intact when managing your end of life IT assets.
Observe first-hand the physical security measures in place at a vendor facility where data will be destroyed and confirm that employees have been background checked and drug screened. A site visit of the facility can be an important step in verifying your assets and data will be securely managed.
- SLS processing facilities are access controlled and monitored, ensuring maximum protection of your data bearing assets prior to destruction. All assets are stored and secured until processing begins. Security measures implemented at all SRS facilities include physical barriers, intrusion alarm systems, CCTV surveillance, limited access and locked areas, strict visitor controls, secured storage, 24/7 security guards, metal detectors, strategic lighting, and alarmed peripheral exits. Background checks are done on all new employees and IT security protocols are in place to protect client assets.
Being able to produce documented processes and proof that these processes were consistently followed will be important deciding factors should your operations be audited. Certificates of data destruction and consistent documented audit trails are important proof points. Regardless of the method of data destruction, request certificates of data destruction to demonstrate that all data is destroyed.
At SLS, all items received for data destruction are tracked via our online inventory module which is accessible to clients via the Sims Portal. Clients are able to track, monitor and create reports on the status of data bearing assets. Certificates of Data Destruction can be provided, regardless of the destruction service provided – data erasure, on-site destruction, witnessed destruction or plant recycling.
There are specialized risks in managing the disposition of end of life electronics for businesses, including environmental and data security risks. Be sure your selected vendor offers protection for you in case your electronics are mishandled.
- SLS offers our clients an added layer of protection by carrying specialized pollution liability and cyber security insurance. We maintain this insurance to demonstrate our commitment to protecting the interests of our clients and responsibly managing their retired assets.
Choose a vendor who manages services in-house. A company that is able to provide a complete range of processing services eliminates reliance on partners to process an organization’s retired electronics, which improves accountability and streamlines reporting.
- SLS offers comprehensive capabilities in supporting a wide range of electronics recycling services and IT asset disposition. We offer data destruction services for a wide range of storage devices and provide these services at your location and also at our processing facilities.
Keep Your Data Safe & Secure
Each day, your organization generates its share of data; data that drives your competitive advantage and keeps your company moving forward.
But that same data left on retired IT assets can trigger a data disaster. At SLS, we understand the critical need to make sure all data is secure, even data on assets you no longer use. Our services ensure data on your retired assets stays safe and include:
- on-site hard drive degaussing and destruction
- secure recycling facilities operated by screened employees
- certified and documented processes
This safeguards the data stored on your retired IT assets and prevents your company from becoming a statistic.
Ensuring Data Security During IT Asset Disposition
Download white paper and learn:
- Where digital data lurks on IT and office equipment
- How to get rid of data – completely
- Why a formalized plan for end-of-life electronics is critical to an overall data security plan
Safeguard Your Sensitive Digital Data
We have extensive experience and unsurpassed capabilities with destruction of digital data and have earned the trust of corporations, government agencies, military and law enforcement authorities and small businesses. We can custom design a program that best meets your data security needs and reporting requirements.